As of 2016, most who can’t afford a simple trip to the dentist are not alone. The cost of dental care continues to rise rather consistently. In addition, many don’t have or have lost access to dental insurance whether through work or perhaps being out of work among other reasons. Scarily, this leaves less than half the American population without insurance. Factors include the price being too much, but thankfully there are now ways to get dental discounts and take other avenues for cost savings in order to make dental care more affordable to all.
Save Money on Dental Care
No one should fret if they don’t have the means to get dental insurance. Further, they shouldn’t worry about not being able to pay the entire amount due for service. There are options to get dental discounts and they include the following:
- Participate in Dental Studies: Universities all over the United States are conducting research on oral health conditions and various treatment methods. Clinical trials are very important to discovering what may help and getting that product on the market. Anyone who wants to be the first with access to these amazing treatments should consider a study. Often times they come along with free dental care or dental discounts on cleanings and extractions.
While it’s not always easy to find a clinical trial that directly relates to the care needed, it’s not impossible. Inquire about a list of clinical trials in the area and apply to any that may help.
- Free or Low-Cost Dental Providers: Many dentists give dental discounts to those patients who don’t have insurance. They’ll take into account the patient’s income and use a sliding scale to determine how much they will pay.
To find dentists that will operate on a sliding scale, contact organizations like the ADA (American Dental Association) or United Way. They usually have a list that will be very beneficial. If one has trouble finding an affordable dentist, they can see if their able to go to a free dental clinic. This is also just for low-income individuals.
- Get Online for Dental Discounts: Saving money on dental care can be done by joining apps or sites that offer daily discounts. All one has to do is a search in their area to find these daily deals. This is perfect for anyone that doesn’t carry insurance and helps save even thousands of dollars on common procedures like fillings and cleanings.
- Enroll in a Discount Dental: Discount dental plans are offered for a low yearly or monthly membership fee and then gives huge discounts on costs as long as one chooses within the provided network of dentists.
- Simply Ask If a Discount Is Available: many are surprised to find that dentists understand many are uninsured and they are more than willing to give some help as far as a payment plan. Let them know the financial situation and type of insurance and do some negotiations before being billed.
- Choose to Pay Upfront: This is a great tip that can sometimes help one get regular discounts. Many dentists will gladly offer a 5% dental discount if the patient is willing to pay in advance.
- Consider Government Resources: Many organizations through the government are poised to help the uninsured as well as low-income individuals to get the medical attention necessary for a healthy life. Check with the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). They are a main source for uninsured Americans and especially those who may be at high risk of having health issues without proper care. This same organization gives a list of dental discount providers in the given area to help.